Hey everyone! Happy New Year and all that.
I really wasn’t lazy about this post this time. I really wanted to give it some thought before I posted something. It has been a tough thing to consider, because I really wanted to address something that I’ve noticed in my circle of SL friends.
I know of 3 people (including 2 very close friends) that over the past year have decided, for various reasons, to leave SL. And the reasons are not for lag or grid performance or anything else like that. They had made the decision because they either were hurt by an SL relationship or SL was affecting their RL relationships in a negative way.
Now until recently I hadn’t given much thought to my RL relationships. But upon further reflection, I have to admit that I came to SL to find something I wasn’t able to recognize in RL. And I realize that was a negative, and ultimately hurtful, reason to do SL. SL is, at its heart anyway, just a bunch of people interacting with each other. But it can isolate you from RL too.
So with that in mind, I’ve made some new year’s resolutions, with an eye to live bravely in RL AND SL:
1. To nurture and care for the relationships in my life. I haven’t done a good job of this to be honest. I’ve lost touch with old friends that I wish I hadn’t. And I want to have some really good friendships and relationships with my SL friends too. If you reading this, you probably are already a good friend of mine. Or, I bet I’d like you to be. J
2. To evaluate those relationships that I actively participate in with a more critical eye as to my participation in them, both positive and negative. I have a bad habit of looking elsewhere for blame. I’m where I’m at in life not just by circumstance, but also by choices I have made.
3. To participate more actively in my spiritual practice. I’ve let this one slide quite a bit. I’m a bit lazy by nature I guess. 😛
4. And finally, get back to my “playing” shape and weight. Whatever that might mean. Lazy here too. 😛
5. Start my fiction writing again. Lazy, lazy, lazy. 😛
That’s it I guess. Best wishes for the New Year and keep in touch.